Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Shame of It and Where I've Been All These Months

OK I know the worst thing a blogger can do is be inconsistent and not blog regularly, but here I am returned from the dead (kind of). I managed to get a freak inner ear viral infection with extreme acute vertigo, so was flat on my back spinning out into the universe for a month then staggering around getting better bit by bit for around the same time. It really was the 7th circle of hell but that time of  incapacitation was also a gestational period so that even tho I couldn't write or read or make art, something was going on that is now beginning to bear fruit. I was in a place of deepest despair and now I've moved out of the winter of my discontent into a place of hope and blossoming.

I am developing a new transformative pedagogy that I'm very excited about, making art, reading terrific books, taking courses and workshops, participating in an amazing art therapy group with Majica Phillips of Midtown Art Therapy and a fabulous e-course with Kelly Rae Roberts focused on growing a creative business, writing and creating art for two books (one for adults and the other for kids) and feeling full of possibility and promise.

I have posted a special on my etsy site www.MiraArt.etsy.com reducing prints from $28.00 to $15, written and self-published a book teaching others how to write, illustrate, and publish children's picture books (also on my etsy shop as a downloadable pdf book) that while not perfect, I'm extremely proud of. Meanwhile am getting ready to teach two new courses at University Art in Sacramento and teach future teachers how to integrate art across the curriculum at Brandman University. One of the things I'm looking at is how to be less extreme with my time. This image, for educational purposes only, is about my relationship to time - either I'm late, I'm late doing way too many things, or I'm just this delighted sloth hanging around doing nothing. Hmmm. Oscar Wilde's line "moderation in all things, including moderation" used to be my motto, but now I'm just seeking simple moderation and balance.

3 comments:

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

Lots of good things going on for you fellow flyer-I will have to check on the self publshing how to. Congrats and welcome back, Robin

Loretta said...

Hi Mira, I found you here through the flying lessons blog, and was so happy I did! Have seen your art on etsy before, but this time made sure I "hearted" your shop so I could find you again - love your work!
I think I am also in the process of developing a transformative pedagogy at the moment - although I don't think I could have worded it as beautifully as you have.
Loretta
xx

Mira Reisberg AKA The Picture Book Whisperer said...

Thank you both for your kind comments. I've finally got 11 blog followers which feels good but also humbling. Also good to hear that someone's seen my work on etsy. Have not made many sales and sometimes it feels a little futile. I think our flying lessons e-course is going to help. Am feeling it already.